- Population: 87,000; within 30-mile radius, population is 184,134
- Located at the westernmost tip of Lake Superior, halfway between Minneapolis/St. Paul and the Canadian border.
- 2,342 freshwater miles from the Atlantic Ocean to Duluth via the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence Seaway
- Area: 43,067 acres
- Altitude: Ranges from 605 feet (at Lake Superiorís shoreline) to 1,485 feet above sea level
- Terrain: City is built into a steep, rocky cliffside; almost mountainous for the Midwest
- Rated by Money magazine as one of the top four Midwestern small cities, based on livability